Sunday, February 21, 2010

No good deed goes unpunished: Lesson burned


Well, I just did one of the stupidest things I have ever done, and I am paying the price.

You know those not-so-hot peppers I just mentioned? Well it turns out they're actually one of the hottest peppers around, and are from the habanero family. And apparently, you are supposed to use gloves to cut out the seeds, not your bare hands. And when you wash your hands after touching this particular breed, it doesn't take away the sensation of burning flesh.

I cut up one of the yellow (what I now know are Scotch bonnet) peppers, to accompany my yellow peppers and steak, and removed the seeds under running water. I then started coughing because of the heat (they are 100 times hotter than jalapenos), and started scratching my nose, also because of the heat. Not long after, my nostrils were burning, but that wasn't so bad after squirting some Salinex up my nose. The worst part is now the burning flesh on my hands (I actually have mild burn marks), even though I washed my hands about 5 times and put on 3 different creams. That failing, my friend looked up some cures (there are no immediate cures, yay). So then I soaked my hands in baking soda and water, followed by 10 minutes with my hands in Ziploc bags with plain yogurt. My hands are still burning like crazy in certain spots, and apparently it takes hours, if not days, to pass.

I did try eating one though (before this fiasco) and it wasn't disgustingly hot. So I removed them from my other peppers, but will still have my meal for lunch. Hopefully I wont need to be hospitalized tomorrow ha! If anything, they may induce vomiting, which will definitely help me drop a few pounds!!!

Wish me a speedy recovery please

- Desperate and burning hot in Montreal

No comments: