Saturday, February 27, 2010

Mission accomplished

My first volunteer shift is done, and it was nice! I got to meet two Chinese students, one who's learning French and goes to McGill, the other who is studying engineering at Concordia. The kitchen coordinator / head chef is a girl from Peterborough with a story similar to mine. To boot, they always leave a little extra dessert for the volunteers, and it was my lucky day...brownies! I ate about the equivalent of half a brownie (mine was cut into tiny pieces), and I tasted a piece of a cornbread muffin as well.

As far as my duties, for the next few weeks I'm on the afternoon shift for lack of openings in the morning. This means I mainly help pack up desserts, meals and then clean the kitchen. If I can avoid washing dishes I'll be happy. This time I dried a lot, which is fine by me, and I mopped the floor and cleaned the counters. In a few weeks I will get to work the morning shift which will consist more of basic food preparation like making fruit salads, preparing ingredients for the meals, etc.

I walked home, so that was a nice 30 or so minutes of exercise, though my footsies are hurting a little now. I think that when it starts to get warmer, I will make it a tradition to go across the street to Cafe Santropol for lunch, or somewhere in the Plateau on a patio to enjoy my afternoons in the sun over a drink :)

Now I am back at home doing laundry and trying to get a hold of people to hang out with...any takers? hahah! Have a great Saturday everyone!

No comments: