Saturday, January 16, 2010

The battle begins!

Wow, one week down. The rest of my life to go...

So the end of the week was a toughie, but I think I would have made you all fairly proud. After coming back from vacation and starting full on waking up and going to bed so early, and figuring out what to eat all the time, "normal" me would have given up by now. This blog really is effective since, as I told a friend today, "I have to go work out [today] because I have to write something." So for the days I am lazy and unmotivated, you all keep me going. Thank you for watching over me.

Though I only did relaxing yoga on Friday morning, I did a great workout today, one that even my personal trainer would respect. I have to choose my break days from working out, because I get extremely bored having to do the same type of activity all week. I am thinking Thursday or Friday will be my break day from now on. I figure the taking the stairs, workouts and walks to work are enough to compensate for one day off, but maybe that's cheating? No, no, I know our bodies need a break sometime. Oh and I usually have beach volleyball on Thursdays anyway. Great, it's decided, Thurs/Fri are my days off when I have volleyball, and just Friday when I don't.

On the food front, the first week went relatively well. I didn't do anything too drastic, to avoid scaring myself off. I want this lifestyle change to be permanent. So I had ONE can of Diet Coke all week, had very little bread, and ate almost no potatoes. I have to say though, last night and today were my proudest moments: I went to a restaurant and the ONLY thing I could see on the menu was steak and fries! That is, every other, healthier option was invisible to me. BUT, I opted for a vegetable soup and salad, counter-intuitively, and they were very good. I did have the most amazing dessert though, but didn't feel quite as bad.

Today, for brunch, we went to a very nice restaurant called Rumi, and I had salmon with vegetables and rice. It was very good and healthy as well. All in all, I am learning to fight my instinct to go for the unbalanced choices, and look at all the possibilities to ensure I get enough vegetables and fruit in my diet.

So I think my second week will start off on the right foot. I am already seeing changes in my mood, my skin, my body shape and the way I function. For example, I eat right after work now to make sure I can fall asleep at 10 - 10:30 pm, so that waking up when it's still dark out doesn't hurt so much. I love being up that early though, it is so tranquil.

Alright, party on people! I will report back soon.

No comments: