Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Reflections

So I've decided this morning was a good time to take some measurements for 2011 and check in to see my progress over the year. I realized recently that I surpassed my original goal by 10 lbs, but I am 10lbs away from the new goal I had set myself for this time. I am not stressed about getting there though. I know things have slowed down since I moved, with Christmas and moving and winter, etc...

The great thing is that my measurements are down so much from this time last year. Let's have a look-see (the number in brackets is the total inches lost since January 2010.

Neck: 11.5 (-2)
Chest: 31 (-6)
Ribs: 28.5 (-3.5)
Waist: 26 (-10)
Hips: 32 (-9)
Butt: 36 (-7)
Thighs: 21 (-5.5)
Weight: 141 lls (-45 lbs approx.)

I find it insane I lost 10 whole inches of fat off my waist and still have plenty to go around :)

I am impressed, but to be completely honest, humans always forget the pain, so it seems so simple in hindsight ha! The hard part (in hindsight, again) was all the years of pain that led me to my breaking point. Once I reached that point, there was no stopping me! But I must acknowledge that there is clearly a recipe for effective weight loss, and I found it:

1. relying on a network of supportive people day in and day out
2. exercising most days of the week, while giving yourself breaks
3. counting calories and ensuring you get enough of every food group
4. never giving up. If you DO give up for one week, see it as giving yourself a break, but not a failure, and start over.
5. adapting your sleep schedule to make sure you have the energy to sustain this.

Other things are important too, but sadly it seems that most people aiming to lose weight are doing so more for aesthetic reasons than overall health. Either one is fine, but one is a bigger motivator. So my process included consulting a doctor for a checkup, getting blood tests done, sleeping well, addressing some emotional problems, getting financially stable, eliminating negative and unsupportive people from my circle, and so on... I want to continue to work on my emotional/intellectual health through more reading, cultural activities, challenging myself, volunteering, etc... Whatever it takes to maintain my self-esteem.

I am not slacking off totally, and frankly, I need to take some time to enjoy all that's happening in my life right now, and slowly get back to the discipline of weight loss.

No comments: