Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A delicious stroke of genius

I must say, I'm quite pleased with myself right now.

Today, with the minimal rations remaining in my fridge, I managed to concoct a most tasty meal. I strongly urge you to try it out. It's easy (if I make it, it's definitely easy), fast, yummy and filling. I will give you my basic recipe, but have provided tips to make it even better.

Mahi Mahi with Mango, Avocado and Tomato salsa

Basically, I pan-fried a piece of frozen (but thawed out) Mahi Mahi. I marinated it right before cooking with lemon/lime juice, olive oil and fresh cracked pepper and fleur de sel.

Just before putting the fish in the pan, in a separate, shallow bowl, I diced up about 1/3 of a large avocado (has to be a little firm), 1/4 of a large mango, and one small, firm tomato. I mixed that all together with lemon and lime juice, fleur de sel and fresh cracked pepper.

I cooked the fish and put it on top of the salsa and ate it all together. MMMMMMM! It's so simple and fresh.

It was amazing. It would be even better if you use fresh fish obviously, and fresh lemon and lime juice rather than the pre-made kind. It would also be slightly better to just sear the fish in the pan and then cook it in the oven to avoid drying it out. But considering I used frozen fish, pre-made lemon/lime juice, and pan-fried my fish, it was sooooo good. Also, I'm not sure what side of carbs would go well with it, but I imagine making some homemade crostinis with baguette, sliced very thinly, could be used as a yummy vessel for eating this. I personally wouldn't use rice or couscous, but maybe quinoa. Or I am sure some potatoes roasted with lemon and thyme or pepper would be a nice touch.

I ate the remaining mango for dessert. Yum. Now I have barely any food left, but I'm glad I'm managing to be creative with what I've got. I think that would be my specialty in the kitchen, since I certainly do not have advanced cooking skills.

I had a nice day today, and this just made it that much better. Hoorah!

No comments: