Sunday, January 9, 2011

the ins and outs

I am getting back into the exercise thing, slowly. At least my eating is back in line. I love that it mostly comes naturally now for me to want and eat relatively healthful meals, but getting into cooking after even a brief hiatus is always a struggle. I am back at it though, and my body is happy.

As for exercise, well Friday I took a good walk up the Drummond hill at lunch, like I had been when the weather was better. Wednesday and Thursday I took big, long walks also. I waffled about what kind of workout to attend yesterday, and chose to go to Bodylicious, which is essentially zumba. I'm glad I did; it was just enough of a workout to break a sweat and get my heart pumping, but not painful at all. I don't think it's a good idea for me to jump into a bootcamp when I haven't done anything like that for months...

My weight is still between 140-142. I know I say this at every milestone, but I still feel like when I see that I am in the 130s I will have a heart attack. I am now aiming for 130, but since my body likes to plateau at the 3-lb mark, I think 133 is MY weight. I think that is where I will look and feel right. I feel like I am almost at a great size for my height and for what I think looks and feels healthy. Anyway, that's most of the battle done, afterward is the really tough part: staying motivated for the unrelenting effort of fine tuning, when you see only small results at a time. And results that are difficult to maintain in the long term. But I still do see a point of me doing that nonetheless. It will take more than one year of good habits to undo 27 years of bad, and it will take more than one year for me to build lifelong habits.

Today I skipped out on a cross-fit class, but decided instead to take yet another looooong, cooooold walk outside. This time it was under the guise of having to walk to the Old Port to pickup cupcakes for a friend whose birthday is tomorrow, who I am seeing tonight. We'll be treating him to dinner sometime soon, but I couldn't just NOT mark the occasion. Plus it gave me a reason to walk for two hours. I'm like that: I need objectives, tangibles, goals, missions. You tell me I have to accomplish something, I will do it as long as I believe it is valid. I am competitive, so missions are like a mild competition with myself... 'will I accept, will I sit on my laurels... I have to accept, there is no other choice.' When I am accountable to only myself it is far less effective. I have guilt working in my favour. I am much more apt to do something if I feel like not doing so would disappoint someone...ha!

Alright, I am off to meet my friends, trying not to think about going to work tomorrow. Boy do I not want to be working. I want to be on a beach getting a tan and swimming in the ocean. That's one sensation I can always conjure up easily: the feeling on sitting on the beach in the shade/sun with the hot breeze and the sound of the water...ahhhhh. Okay, I think I'll meditate on that for 5 minutes before leaving, it does me a world of good.

Back to it! Good luck getting through another week of working toward your goals!

No comments: