Sunday, January 16, 2011

I did it!

I hauled ass to a bootcamp class this morning. All things considered, it was surprisingly un-hard to do. Let's look at the facts:

1. It is -12 C outside and feels like -20. This is the coldest day of winter so far, by my recollection.
2. I barely slept the day before and really wanted to catch up by sleeping in.
3. I'm having a bit of a hard time motivating myself to do anything but light workouts these days, aside from vball.
4. I thought bootcamp wasn't happening this week and the class offered was yoga.

BUT:
1. It is insanely sunny, so I just piled 4 layers of tops, 3 pants, two socks, and one solid layer of tuque, yak's wool Nepali mittens, my super warm coat and boots and dragged my little feet uphill in the snow.
2. Strangely, I woke up at 8 am sharp and practically jumped out of bed I was so alert. I suppose my new work schedule is causing these earlier morning wakeups.
3. I had a special someone try to give me a bit of a kick in the ass to go to the class, and though I resisted, I guess it rubbed off on me.
4. I checked online and my regular Lululemon store was only offering yoga or this really scary-looking class for athletes, but the one in Westmount was offering a great "Strong is the new skinny" class (essentially a bootcamp class), and I could walk there for 1 hour of exercise en plus.

The Westmount store is obviously a little more upper crust (for those not familiar with Montreal, Westmount is the rich part of town, right next to my neighbourhood, which is one of the dodgier parts of the city :). Westmount reminds me a lot of where I grew up, so there's this mix of feeling very comfortable there, but being irritated at the same time ha! I'm always a paradox.

Anyway, what I meant to get at was that they not only had the standard bagels and cream cheese for class participants at the end, they also had orange slices, mango (kickass) and David's Tea. Not just any old green tea, the one they gave me was chocolate chai. Allow me to say HOLY F^&^# it doesn't get much better than that! I had a cold walk ahead of me, so I was more than happy to indulge. It's a very soft, light tea that doesn't taste too sweet or chocolatey (this is a good thing, to me), but smells incredible.

So I decided to stop at the grocery store where they bought their mangoes and pick up a bunch of fruit. I also bought some fresh smoked salmon from Quebec, so I am dying to go hit the shower so I can have that for lunch afterward. Then I may (in between laundry loads) go hang out at my new local cafe around the corner. My Central Perk, of sorts. Mine is called Cafe St. Henri. The decor is simple, and being quite sparse in terms of furniture, surprisingly cozy.

Later, I will be taking my friend out for his birthday with another friend of ours to a sushi place followed by shisha at our local hangout. None of it is actually local for us, but we're there enough to qualify as locals I think. Regulars at the very least.

Okay, off to take a shower, do dishes, laundry, sip coffee and sushhhhhh it up!

No comments: