Saturday, January 8, 2011

mini obsession

Okay, this has nothing to do with weight loss or anything really. I am just obsessed with this song, and with Adele now, and I didn't feel like re-posting on Facebook to explain what's so great about the song, so I will bore you with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYEDA3JcQqw

First of all, the sound quality reminds me of old 50s music I grew up listening to. I have an immense appreciation for music because as a kid I went through each generation, from about the 40s to present, and I have seen the evolution. I also usually pick up references to old songs, which can be a bad thing since I find most music repetitive, unoriginal and boring. I have gotten out of touch with music in the last 5 years or so, only listening to whatever comes on the radio, so when someone showed me this song it was a revelation.

Her voice is obviously magical, with soulful, jazzy scratching and powerful belts, and she recently started learning about bluegrass/country/gospel, which is apparent in this song, especially with the backup vocals.

Whoever composed the instrumental arrangement and the lyrics was a genius. This song evokes so many different feelings it's hard to pinpoint just one. It is inspiring, sad, powerful, desperate, glorious, hopeful and reminiscent. There are so many layers of old music within her voice and the sound style that it makes me think of my childhood, then the lyrics make me think of my recent past, and the hopeful, upbeat intensity-building makes you look toward the future. The drumming made me think of the incessant drumming in the soundtrack to There Will be Blood, which was phenomenal.

If ever there was a song that actually moved me, this is in my top 10 for sure... Oh and whoever directed the video is a star as well.

No comments: