Monday, July 5, 2010

Game On! early

So as I mentioned yesterday, I will be doing this Game On! challenge starting next Monday. As part of this competition, you must give up one unhealthy habit and take on one positive habit for the entire game period.

For my positive habit, I have decided to reinstate something I did almost my entire life but had stopped following a severe bout with depression, and never really took back up: prayer. Now hear me out, I do not abide by any religion, but I feel and have always felt that prayer is a healthy practice. It's a bit like meditating combined with journalling for me. I typically express what I am thankful for, think about the things I am doing wrong, and say what I would like to happen in my life. I find this grounds me, and I have been in desperate need of grounding for the past few years.

For my bad habit, I had a really hard time coming up with something. I thought about giving up Diet Coke (though that's part of the diet anyway), or shisha, but my friend has decided to give up swearing, and it struck me that that is a perfect flaw for me to work on. My potty mouth has simply gotten out of hand, and frankly that's unattractive and a sign of laziness. I am a translator, I write for a living and have an extensive vocabulary, so there's no excuse for me to resort to bad words every five seconds to more dramatically state my point.

Even though the challenge starts next week, I began working on these yesterday. I want to WIN, and I really want these behaviours to become habitual, so it's never too soon to start.

Much to my surprise, this morning I woke up on time and made it to the gym despite going to bed late. I went pretty easy on myself even though I "slacked" last week, because I only slacked in terms of gym time; I actually did a lot of other activities. I think I hadn't eaten red meat in a veeeerrry long time, and yesterday I ate a homemade burger patty (Dijon, ketchup, seasoned bread crumbs, yellow curry, salt and pepper). So the reason I have been sooooo exhausted lately may be partly a result of that, and this night I slept so well and am pretty energetic today.

I am off to work now, grumble. I will talk to you all later!

No comments: