Saturday, June 12, 2010

3 DAYS

Okay, so I am a little dumb. I said 3 days left, but really, counting the 15th, I have 4 hahaha! Just realized that now...

Okay, so now for the Relay. Well on Thursday night, after working late into the night I remembered to pack a back for the Relay, which included blankets, pillows, warm clothes and food. I lugged all that to the office the following morning. All my meals were aimed at giving me energy for the evening: a salad wrap with tofu, oranges and spinach for lunch and a chicken skewer with a bit of rice/potatoes (I only ate a little bit, seriously!) and veggies.

So at 5 pm I made my way to the Olympic Stadium, where I got a little lost trying to find Parc Maisonneuve, but all's well that ends well: I made it and the skies turned extremely sunny and warm. All day it had been miserable, so this was a welcome change.

We gradually set up shop and welcomed all my teammates. Our walking portion began at about 8 pm. I am proud to say that almost everyone on my team walked for 80% of the night. If you include the walk to and from the metro and the bathrooms, it makes about 85%! We walked in groups of two, at our own pace. It just so happened that most of us just wanted to keep on walking. We would stop every 1-2 hours for a 10-minute break. At one point, around 4 am, I fell asleep :) After a 40-minute nap we restarted and walked until about 5:30. From about 2 am onward it had been raining, so packing up wasn't much fun, but we left during the breakfast because we were all reaching our breaking point of sleep deprivation.

Overall, it was a very nice experience. And as an added bonus, I ate a ton of food and still managed to come home at 162 lbs :) I didn't eat too much, it was more the timeframe within which I ate it, and the variety of food I ate that was a little disturbing. My stomach is still a little iffy.

Well I am too tired to write about the more moving aspects of the Relay, but let's just say that a pathway lined with paper lanterns with messages for cancer victims or survivors and a lap for cancer survivors are pretty powerful, more powerful than I had expected.

Alright everyone, I am off to rest a bit more and clean up all my wet stuff...

No comments: