Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Day deux

It is only that things are so unusually slow at work this week that I will be so bloggy. Just know that. :0)


So, I weighed in at 147. Shocking because over Christmas I was no more than 145 on average, and now I've started working out again (and no, not building muscle, just running mainly) and gradually eating much better, and NOW the scale decides to jump. Ah well. I'm using weight as one barometer, but I will need to take measurements tomorrow to compare against two years ago and see what kind of adjustments are required :)

My lowest weight was 135, but I'd say the lowest I can maintain with a minimum of effort and discipline is about 138-140lbs I've learned. Plus, I like my body better at 138-140 than 135, when I looked way too skinny on top. Over 2012, I kept meaning to get from 140 back down to 135, but ended up putting on another 5-7 lbs. My new goal is to get to 138 through running, and stay in that range as long as I can. I want to stay safely away from 150 lbs, which will be my ALARM weight now (it used to be 185 back in the day, since I felt 200 lbs coming toward me).

My boyfriend, for the blog's sake let's call him Hairy, has been making us a variety of smoothies/juices for breakfast this week, loaded with good things. Since I have been eating most of my meals out, I've been opting for hearty salads with just oil and vinegar for dressing, and other light yet nutritious meals. I am trying to offset the overload of cookies, chocolate and other sugary treats. I have been disgusting myself with my compulsive snacking. I had basically no self-control anytime I walked by a snack/treat and would tell myself NO then go eat it anyway. Now, I am reverting to my tried-and-tested trick of telling myself "If you still want it in an hour (or this afternoon / tonight) then you can have it, but just not yet." Without fail, I end up NOT eating the crap after all. I'm also applying my "if you only workout for 10 minutes at the gym, that's perfectly okay, the key is that you get there and try." This, too, is a very successful mind game, even if I know it's a mind game.

I am completely at peace with eating the high-quality chocolates my brother sent me for Christmas from one of Toronto's best chocolatemakers: SOMA, in the Distillery District. These have no junk in them and are pure fabulousness. And when I eat high-quality chocolate, naturally I tend to eat less and savour it because it is far more satisfying, like a solid shot of espresso versus watery filtered coffee. When I eat Hersheys chocolate, which is basically sugar with a splash of cocoa, for some reason I eat a ton of it even though I care much for it.

My Portuguese class was nice yesterday. I don't feel I'm making substantial progress, but the practice is important nonetheless. I will also try to keep on finding new ways to take in the language and practice this year, though I managed to keep up my motivation for most of 2012.

Alright, back to twiddling my thumbs and surfing the interweb, catching Wiki-itis.

Good day all.

No comments: