Thursday, June 30, 2011

fitness

Hey everybody!

I feel better this week. I've started to push myself again, slowly, and it feels great.

I started with the easiest (for me... I this would be the toughest for most): exercise. I realized I've only beeing doing running and volleyball. That's nothing to scoff at, but still, it's mainly cardio and not too big a challenge for me. I had let muscle/resistance training become a thing of the past, thus turning my almost wonderful abs to mush. So this week, here was my approach: I started taking walks at lunch again. To do this, I either have to eat at my desk before or get something takeout. I'll get to my lunches further down. So 20-minute-ish walks at lunch, plus volleyball twice this week, running last Sunday, running to volleyball and walking back Monday, AND did an awesome class with a former professional boxer called "intense cardio". It was great cardio, but more importantly for me, his classes work ALL muscle groups. Including the oft-overlooked back.

Food-wise, I did a teeeeenie tiny bit of groceries, and had some leftovers from the weekend, so all my breakfasts and dinners were homemade. All my lunches were meal replacement smoothies from Liquid Nutrition, with chocolate Vega Whole Food Optimizer added. Now I am not particularly fond of replacing ACTUAL food with powdered, dried, or pill-shaped foods, but I gave it a try. I had one every day this week. The two smoothies I alternated between are high in calories (600 and 450 respectively) so I am not starving myself. The aim was to try to replace the nutrients I am NOT getting because I am not eating homemade lunches, and see what the Vega is good for. So far, I've felt more energetic this week than I have in months, though mood-wise it's the beginning of the PMS cycle, which always starts on a ridiculous high, where I become uber productive at home and at work, am super pleasant... which eventually morphs into the dark, brooding, unhappy, complacent and depressed me as my period approaches. Anyway, for now I am riding the happy wave.

Speaking of happy, I bought a ton of underwear today (10 pairs for $30) and they are mostly SUPER FUNKY! I am a big fan of fashion right now, since it's all about fluorescents and flowers and crazy patterns and shit. I like many different looks, but I've always had a soft spot for ridiculously bright colours.

In other happy news, I totally forgot until yesterday that we have tomorrow off since it is Canada Day. I will use the day to sleep in, get a lot of cleaning done, go play some free beach volleyball, and enjoy some me time.

Alright, I am off to lie down for a few minutes before I head to vball. Have a great evening, and make this week the week you start pushing yourself again. Go go go!

1 comment:

♥ Drazil ♥ said...

Good job getting back into working out!